Improving the appearance of aging facial skin remains among the most sought-after aesthetic treatments, and many of the most effective laser technologies for aging skin are continually being refined to further enhance results. Now, lasers can soften fine lines and wrinkles, improve the appearance of acne scars, and tighten sagging skin on the face and virtually any part of the body.
Ultrasound and radiofrequency for skin tightening
- Ultrasound technology is a non-invasive procedure that is approved by the FDA to lift and tighten skin on the neck, chin, and eyebrow area.
- This ultrasound technology does not penetrate as deeply as the ultrasound device used to melt fat, but dermatologists have the ability to vary the depths of treatment depending on the extent of skin sagging without compromising the skin’s surface.
- Optimal results are visible within four months, with some tightening noticeable within the first month.
- Results from one treatment session last one year, on average.
- Radiofrequency energy is a non-invasive procedure that is FDA approved to treat aging facial skin and sagging eyelids, but Dr. Lee noted that dermatologists can use the technology to treat sagging skin on virtually any part of the body.
- As a result of improvements in technology, now only one treatment is needed, whereas two treatments were needed previously.
- Similar to ultrasound, noticeable skin tightening starts to occur within one month of treatment, with optimal results visible in four months.
- Both ultrasound and radiofrequency provide a secondary benefit of improving the appearance of acne scarring.
- Minimal downtime is a benefit of both ultrasound and radiofrequency procedures.